Debugging on gentoo with QtCreator

Marius rara at quantentunnel.de
Thu Aug 19 17:57:24 CEST 2010

Hi folks,

I'm trying to debug amarok on gentoo with QtCreator 1.3. In general it works,
i.e. I can set breakpoints etc. I have problems though when amarok crashes
inside a Qt function. gdb then shows the function name, but can't find the
source code, so I only get the disassambled code, which is of no use.
Additionally, the asserts in Qt are disabled by default on gentoo. Is it
possible to use a local Qt installation with asserts enabled, to get useful
backtraces in QtCreator?

Additionally, gdb is sometimes incredibly slow when debugging amarok. In
numbers: it often needs more than half a minute with 100% cpu to do one
debugging step. Sometimes gdb even crashes. Do you have similar problems?

Cheers,
Marius