Debugging on gentoo with QtCreator

Marius rara at quantentunnel.de
Thu Aug 19 18:41:32 CEST 2010

on Thursday 19 August 2010 18:23 Leo Franchi <lfranchi at kde.org> wrote:
> lfranchi: lolOn Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Marius
>
> <rara at quantentunnel.de> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm trying to debug amarok on gentoo with QtCreator 1.3. In general it
> > works, i.e. I can set breakpoints etc. I have problems though when
> > amarok crashes inside a Qt function. gdb then shows the function name,
> > but can't find the source code, so I only get the disassambled code,
> > which is of no use. Additionally, the asserts in Qt are disabled by
> > default on gentoo. Is it possible to use a local Qt installation with
> > asserts enabled, to get useful backtraces in QtCreator?
> >
> > Additionally, gdb is sometimes incredibly slow when debugging amarok. In
> > numbers: it often needs more than half a minute with 100% cpu to do one
> > debugging step. Sometimes gdb even crashes. Do you have similar problems?
>
> I've not had much trouble debugging amarok with gdb. However, my setup
> is with a hand-compiled qt/kde with debug symbols and i use "cgdb" as
> my debugging frontend (curses debugger, basically gdb command line +
> split view of current source code location). it's super fast and with
> qtcreator's debugging helpers, i can print out native qt data types :)

Does that mean you have to run your whole kde installation in debug mode, or
can you run an application which is linked to different kdelibs etc. inside the
running "system kde"? It would be great if you could provide some info about
your setup, or point me to a link where I can read more.

Is there a possibility to integrate a usable debugger into a graphical ide?
What about the kdevelop guys, do you have better success with gdb?

-Marius