For 2.2: Moving Rescan Collection back?

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Sat Sep 26 12:16:28 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 4:31 AM, Jeff Mitchell <mitchell at kde.org> wrote:
> Ian Monroe wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 7:09 PM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
>>> Putting it there just because of bugs in the program smells like a
>>> workaround... or in other words, a hack. We did this a lot in Amarok
>>> 1, and the tangled UI in some parts was the result.
>>
>> Yea, but we don't have much choice. We can't just pretend that major
>> problems don't exist when they do.
>
> I've heard from users a large number of "I tried Update Collection over
> and over and it didn't help anything." But when I tell them how to find
> Rescan Collection, it often fixes their problem.
>
> Mark is right that it's a usability issue. Unfortunately, bad
> discoverability is also a usability issue, and in this case I believe it
> might be a more frustrating one for the end user -- if they had seen
> Rescan Collection, it might have saved them from having to throw their
> hands up and seek help. So we're caught between two instances of bad
> usability, and a string freeze preventing us from fixing it.

As I currently don't have a fix for the technical problems with update
scanning, I'm not really in a position to complain. However, I'd like
to suggest that we remove the usability workarounds again as soon as
we have a grip on the technical problems.

Temporary workarounds have a tendency of staying forever once they're
in. Kinda like bad habits, or a nasty cough :)

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer