playback controls in playlist

Téo Mrnjavac teo at getamarok.com
Tue Sep 8 15:54:06 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Lydia Pintscher<lydia at kde.org> wrote:
> Heya folks,
>
> I think it is time to start the actual discussion about the playback
> controls inlined in the playlist.
>
> I have given them a try and I myself don't find them particularly
> useful for myself but also think the config for them doesn't clutter
> up very much. So if there are good usecases for them I am ok with
> keeping them. Else I vote for removal to keep the number of config
> options as small as possible and sane.
>
> Opinions and usecases please.

Hello

Reasons to have it:
- Saves screen real estate vs. full size toolbar. Makes sense to use
it on a netbook or other small screen device, together with a tabbed
main layout configuration.
- Looks plain cool to me and probably others too. If someone doesn't
like it, he just won't enable it.
- The feature is already there. It works. It's easily mantainable
because it shares code with the main toolbar. It has a purpose. The
fact that "Average Joe is confused by features and config options
scare the shit out of him" is a myth and while some users, maybe even
most users, in fact just use the defaults, others (including many
unexperienced users) want to customize their experience to better suit
their needs. Let's make it easy for them.
Reasons to not throw it out:
- No need for it to be enabled by default.
- The config option to enable it is just one check box. Anybody would
have a hard time convincing me that one single checkbox drastically
clutters the UI.
- Since the code exists and works, if it ends up removed from 2.2,
netbook-oriented and other distributions could ship patched packages
to include this feature, and this would be a suboptimal situation for
bugs and support. Now, I'm not saying to include a random feature just
to avoid downstream patching, that would be silly, I'm saying to
officially include a working useful feature that could otherwise be
there for end users anyway because of downstream patching, and
complicate stuff.

Cheers
Téo