AW: [Amarok] Try to fix layout resizing logic once more.

Eelko Berkenpies fedora at berkenpies.nl
Wed Nov 11 14:09:15 CET 2009

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 13:37:12 +0100, "Daniel Dewald"
<Daniel.Dewald at time-shift.de> wrote:
> I think what we should do at this point is CALM DOWN. There is
absolutely
> no
> use in throwing stuff at each other. In my opinion Lydia is doing an
> amazing
> jog. Especially because release manager is one of the most unthankful
jobs
> in the "business". Everybody is angry with you because you're not doing
> what
> he/she wants. As far as I has seen it in IRC and on the mailing list the
> only dev who really was asking for more time till tagging was Mark. He
may
> have been right or not but that doesn't really matter IMHO because the
bug
> isn't THAT tragic is it? A layout bug? Sure it'll bug the users a bit
but
> Amarok won't will not crash because of this and it still plays music.
> Releasing a bug free software is simply impossible (even a release
without
> critical bugs). So tagging now was the right thing to do I guess (I
> wouldn't
> even have delayed the tagging because user are more annoyed by delayed
> releases then by barely visible bugs.
>
> Daniel

Not choosing sides here but as Mark has stated different times there could
be unforeseen and underlying problems regarding the current attempts to fix
it, so yes, it could end up in something nasty/critical.

It hasn't been tested thoroughly, hence the fact that it hasn't even been
fixed yet. And from what I understood, reverting all the work involved on
trying to fix this, is not an option - there simply has been too much going
on (please correct me if I'm wrong on this one).

As far for Lydia's job, I think she has done an excellent job for as long
as I'm using Amarok (and that's not too long, < 2 yrs). I understand all of
the points that have been made so far (markey: delay - Lydia & nhn:
release) but perhaps keep the following in mind;

Whatever you do, it won't be right to a small group of people, you will
piss them off anyway. When released with a delay they will bitch about the
delay and Lydia would get the heat. When released with a couple of
(annoying) bugs, people would also be pissed off and than Mark would need
to take that heat. And of course there is a schedule but hasn't this been a
learning experience so far?

Personally, I wouldn't mind waiting just a little bit longer for something
that actually works. So why not delay it with a very good reason, learn
from it, evaluate and change the release schedule where/when needed,
prevent this from happening again and all get along nicely? :)

--
Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,
Eelko Berkenpies