AW: [Amarok] Try to fix layout resizing logic once more.

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 15:33:47 CET 2009

> Not choosing sides here but as Mark has stated different times there could
> be unforeseen and underlying problems regarding the current attempts to fix
> it, so yes, it could end up in something nasty/critical.

Even more reason to start seriously working on this at the beginning
of a release cycle and not now at the very last minute.

> It hasn't been tested thoroughly, hence the fact that it hasn't even been
> fixed yet. And from what I understood, reverting all the work involved on
> trying to fix this, is not an option - there simply has been too much going
> on (please correct me if I'm wrong on this one).

No, in reality, much of the experimentation has  already been
reverted, what is left is mostly marks original patch with my pile of
timers added on top. REverting it is not a technical issue at all.

> Personally, I wouldn't mind waiting just a little bit longer for something
> that actually works. So why not delay it with a very good reason, learn
> from it, evaluate and change the release schedule where/when needed,
> prevent this from happening again and all get along nicely? :)

I don think there is an easy fix for this, and whatever we come up
with will need extensive testing. I simply dont think it is worth it
to hold up 2.2.1, which already contains many improvements and bug
fixes, indefinitely while we try out different fixes and wait for it
to be properly tested. This testing is very needed and would be a
perfect fit for having a beta release of 2.2.2 as per one of the
proposed release plans.

- Nikolaj