Amarok 2.2.1 tagging

Jakob Kummerow jakob.kummerow at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 6 11:43:53 CET 2009

> Well actually  "Save playlist to Playlist Files on Disk" always used
> XSPF, if it didn't work anymore that was the regression. I however
> doubt that it was broken since your changes to
> PlaylistFileProvider::save( Meta::TrackList ) would not fix that.

OK, so it's not a regression then. Since it didn't work before, I
wasn't sure which features were supposed to work.
If I remove my change to save( Meta::TrackList), saving no longer
works for me, because the file doesn't have a proper extension then,
and the type detection case switch defaults to Unknown and effectively
cancels the saving operation.

> Have you tested if changes to saved XSPF playlists (let's say adding a
> track) are really written to disk? I think they are only cached ATM.

No, I haven't tested that, and it's quite possible that such changes
are not saved.

But I don't think that's a bad thing, because it's what I would
expect: Edit something, save it, edit it again --> either save it
again or decide to discard the changes you made since saving. It's
absolutely common for apps to behave that way.
More concrete use case: Suppose you have a playlist consisting of your
favourite Beatles songs, which you have currently loaded and playing.
One of the tracks reminds you of another song by another band which
you'd like to hear, so you add it to the end of Amarok's playlist. You
wouldn't be too pleased if it got saved onto your Beatles playlist
automatically. On the other hand, if it *was* your intention to extend
the saved playlist, you could easily hit the save button again.

Jakob