extragear/multimedia/amarok/src/context [POSSIBLY UNSAFE]

Dan Meltzer parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com
Thu May 7 03:15:33 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 9:11 PM, Jeff Mitchell <mitchell at kde.org> wrote:
> Dan Meltzer wrote:
>> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Jeff Mitchell <mitchell at kde.org> wrote:
>>> SVN commit 964573 by mitchell:
>>>
>>> Add songkick engine/applet.  Not built by default, but leo is going to help me figure out why it's crashing Amarok on exit (if you do build it).  No i18ns, so doesn't affect string freeze.
>>
>> I object to this.
>>
>> 1) It has strings.  Not translating them just so that it doesn't break
>> the string freeze doesn't make it any better. They still show up
>> poorly for users of other languages.
>
> No, it doesn't, because it's not getting built.

Then why is it in the main tree? hello confusion.

>> 2) It does break the feature freeze.  We are gearing up for a release,
>> not adding more features.
>
> It's already been living in our source tree for six months.  I just
> moved it and touched it up a bit because I wanted to see if their API
> was still working.

I don't understand why you moved it.  If it's been in playground for
six months, it can remain in playground until after we release 2.1, so
it can get sufficient testing before being unleashed on the masses.

>> 3) Is this really worht shipping by default? It could be easily put on
>> kde-apps.org
>
> So could our lyrics applet.  Or Wikipedia.

Thats a silly arguement.  Lots and lots of people want lyrics support,
and wikipedia support.  How many people actually know what a songkick
is?  How many people would be interested in it once they learned what
it was?