extragear/multimedia/amarok/src/browsers/collectionbrowser

Dan Meltzer parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 13:38:52 CET 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 3:34 AM, Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen
<admin at leinir.dk> wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 March 2009 08:13:33 Nikolaj Hald Nielsen wrote:
>> > Would have been nice to speak to me about this first! Instead what I
>> > think you should have done was reimplement the click handler in your
>> > service trees. Double clicking on root collection items will now add
>> > the entire collection to the playlist (instead of expanding), which is
>> > sub optimal.
>>
>> I _like_ being able to add the entire collection to the playlist! :-)
>> And since you can  till do so using the context menu, I think it is
>> inconsistent that this item works differently from every other item in
>> the tree(s)
>>
>> In any case, you are right, we need to come up with a solution that
>> works for everyone. I still think it works better now than before
>> though.
>>
>> Currently the services use almost the exact same code for painting the
>> trees as the main collection browser (I seem to remember it actually
>> being sub-classed to handle a very few specific cases) but if at all
>> possible I would prefer not to deviate any more from the main
>> CollectionTreeView class as this makes it more likely that
>> functionality added one place does not work for the other.
>>
>> > I do not think the "+" button is better as it looks odd and forces a
>> > loss of that precious horizontal space.
>>
>> It does make it very cleat that we are dealing with an expandable item
>> though.
>
>  This reminds me: A friend of mine used the old amarok at a party at his
> school (as in, for the employees - teachers, tech support staff and so on),
> and people were double-clicking on the items with plusses in front of them to
> expand the items, in stead of clicking on the plus. Now, granted, these people
> were drunk and such, but i think this is a very valid criticism. While i used
> to be a proponent for the double-click-adds use case, i think we should
> probably revisit that and make double-click on expandable items
> expand/contract the item rather than add it. We now have the PUD which
> provides us with similar possibilities, so it's not like the functionality
> will disappear at all, just the double-click shortcut, which seems to be not
> well understood by people out there in the wild.

My 2Cents:

This would be totally annoying.  One of the greatest things about
building a playlist in amarok is how quick and easy it is.  Double
clicking to add media is a) standard, and b) very fast.  Having to
drag+drop is going to be much slower, with the PUD you need to search
and find the correct action (debating to oneself what exactly the
difference between "append" and "load" might be, and with dropping
directly on the playlist you have to traverse the entire screen to do
it, and then make the epic journey back to add more music.  Even the
context menu is slower, as you have the same cognitive issues as the
PUD, but you don't have to drag (so it's faster than the PUD).

Changing this behavior based on one small sample (I've never ever ever
heard anyone else complain about this behavior being unintuitive in
all my time in #amarok... and people complain about _everything_
there, as we well know) seems like change for the sake of change,
rather than change for the sake of improvement.  It doesn't add any
real benefit.

Dan,