Enrico Ros proposing a SoC project for improving the GUI

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Wed Mar 18 10:19:02 CET 2009

On 18 Mar 2009, at 09:01, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen wrote:

> I have some strong reservations about this. A "let's make the gui
> rock" project sound nice, but the scope of it is really staggering! I
> have done a significant amount of work on the current GUI, and as a
> quick scroll through my old blog entries will reveal, I went through 4
> or 5 different ideas for looks before finally settling on the current
> one based on a mockup by Nuno. Now, I will be the first to admit that
> the current look could be much better, but it was the best anyone
> could come up with at the tie that did have half the devs hating it
> with a passion.
>
> My point is basically that I dont believe having a single person try
> to define and implement a new look will work as a GSoC project ( or
> any other project for that matter ). There is a reason that we are
> currently setting up our lines of communication with the Oxygen
> artists to help us, not only create the actual svgs and whatnot that
> will be used in the app, but also, and perhaps more importantly, come
> up with an overall vision of how Amarok should look. We are also
> starting to work with more usability people in order to ensure that we
> don't overlook this point.

The main thing that strikes me about this idea is that it is so very
vague at the moment. "Make amarok look awesome" does really sounds
like a sweet project, but as we all know Amarok is a complex project
and it is really quite an undertaking.

I strongly agree with Nikolaj on the fact that we have begun to work
with artists and usability people and are trying to move forward
improving the look of Amarok. I think it is important to continue our
collaboration and develop our UI iteratively rather than
revolutionarily. There is no doubt that it needs work, I will be the
first to say that the CV in particular needs way more time than a few
spare hours a week here or there from 1 developer.

Anyway, I think working on a more concrete proposal or idea, rather
than just carte blanche to toy with amarok, would be a much better idea.

leo

(on a purely technical note, rewriting the GUI as a QGV + OpenGL +
kinetic could be cool, but i honestly don't see it as a job for 1
person. Besides, if we re-use current widgets you would end up with
qgraphicsproxy widgets which absolutely suck as well.)

- ---
Leo Franchi				(650) 704 3680
Tufts University 2010

lfranchi at kde.org