Enrico Ros proposing a SoC project for improving the GUI

Teo Mrnjavac teo.mrnjavac at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 01:37:46 CET 2009

> So in my case: I actually really like his idea even if it's totally
> redesigining the interface. :) Stuff like this:
> http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/A+Media+Player+for+KDE4?content=94472
> What do people think?
I'm familiar with that mockup, I brought it up a few months ago on IRC
and it wasn't accepted well, mostly because of the tightly integrated
video player feature - note that the title says "media player" and not
"music player".
I like it very much, it could work for Amarok. As some of you might
know I'm not really a fan of the PUD or of the three-column view, I
find it redundant and cluttered. This mockup explores the possibility
of switching between context view and collection like in Amarok 1.4,
but provides a lot of space for the context view while keeping the
collection good looking on such a wide area. The nested
horizontal+vertical tab bars need to be uncluttered though.
But as we agreed during that brief discussion a few months ago, we
don't need artists who throw a mockup and vanish, someone should do
the hard work. A detailed proposal is needed.