2.1.0 release plan proposal

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Sun Mar 1 14:41:01 CET 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 14:32, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen
<nhnfreespirit at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just sent the mail announcing that trunk is now in feature freeze. I
> have been thinking a bit on how to proceed from here, and this is my
> proposal on when to release 2.1.0.
>
> I propose going into string freeze on April 1st, and releasing 2.1.0
> on the 1st of May. This gives us 2 months to focus on stability, and
> bug fixing. My main concern is that this might not be enough time, but
> like we did with 2.0.1, I also propose that we do not start working on
> 2.2 in trunk until after 2.1.1 is tagged. This will give us at least
> one highly focused bug fix release after 2.1.0.

May 1st would mean during the dev sprint. I can't do releases there.
So either before the sprint or after the sprint. The rest sounds good
to me.
Releasing a beta around string freeze is a good idea imho.

> I also propose that we do another 2.0.x release in a month or so, with
> any bug fixes that can be safely and easily backported. If we are
> lucky this might make it out in time for Kubuntu 9.04.

Looking at how hard it was to get people to backport to 2.0.2 I don't
think we will get enough backports for a 2.0.3. I'd say sending
important patches to the packagers will do.

> Comments, flames, counter proposals?

Cheers
Lydia

--