2.1.0 release plan proposal

Orville Bennett illogical1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 15:41:29 CET 2009

On Mar 1, 2009, at 8:41 AM, Lydia Pintscher wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 14:32, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen
> <nhnfreespirit at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just sent the mail announcing that trunk is now in feature
>> freeze. I
>> have been thinking a bit on how to proceed from here, and this is my
>> proposal on when to release 2.1.0.
>>
>> I propose going into string freeze on April 1st, and releasing 2.1.0
>> on the 1st of May. This gives us 2 months to focus on stability, and
>> bug fixing. My main concern is that this might not be enough time,
>> but
>> like we did with 2.0.1, I also propose that we do not start working
>> on
>> 2.2 in trunk until after 2.1.1 is tagged. This will give us at least
>> one highly focused bug fix release after 2.1.0.
>
> May 1st would mean during the dev sprint. I can't do releases there.
> So either before the sprint or after the sprint. The rest sounds good
> to me.
> Releasing a beta around string freeze is a good idea imho.
>
>> I also propose that we do another 2.0.x release in a month or so,
>> with
>> any bug fixes that can be safely and easily backported. If we are
>> lucky this might make it out in time for Kubuntu 9.04.
>
> Looking at how hard it was to get people to backport to 2.0.2 I don't
> think we will get enough backports for a 2.0.3. I'd say sending
> important patches to the packagers will do.
So you're going to have packagers do the job that developers are
supposed to do?
I'd say good luck with that but I really hope it fails miserably. If
no one cares about 2.0.x such is life. It's quite tacky, not to
mention irresponsible, to go sending off patches to packagers because
it was too "hard" to get the people who should be doing it to do it.

If one patch qualifies as important, then it's important enough for a
2.0.3. What about those who don't join the (super secret might I add)
amarok-packagers list? They, and by proxy our users through them,
should miss out on this (admittedly) important patch(es) because we
were too lazy?

>> Comments, flames, counter proposals?
See above :-)

> Cheers
> Lydia
p.s. I'm not blasting you personally btw, just the idea :-D