extragear/multimedia/amarok/src/collection/sqlcollection

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Tue Jun 23 02:17:57 CEST 2009

Seb Ruiz wrote:
> 2009/6/22 Jeff Mitchell <mitchell at kde.org>:
>> SVN commit 985235 by mitchell:
>>
>> Clean images table when doing a full scan.  As far as I can tell this is an oversight, and not on purpose.
>
> Yep, it is an oversight. Regardless, we need to fix the lack of
> "retention of image properties" for albums in our database. If I set
> custom artwork or unset automatically scanned art, then these changes
> will be lost when rescanning.

Actually, that's not true.  (I know because I just tried this earlier
today.)

When you set images, either through downloading via Amazon or when you
set custom covers, the image is cached in the amarok user dir.  It's
done via a hash of the file/album/something; as a result, even if you
delete all items from the db and rescan, the covers are just fine.  (The
database in this sense ends up acting as a cache; if the database
doesn't have an entry, it could still be found via the hash if you
persisted in looking for it, which you probably won't if it's not in the
DB.)

Interestingly, Amazon covers don't get inserted in the Amazon table but
are instead treated the same way.  I wonder what this means in terms of
the TOS/TOU.

One thing that doesn't behave well (and this is not a result of the
change I made, which I actually ended up reverting later) is that when
you scan, the collection browser ends up losing the covers until you
next start Amarok or until ${foo} happens.  This might be helped by an
upcoming commit of mine, but as I don't know much about the collection
browser, I kind of doubt it.

--Jeff