Organize files dialog: Dangerous, it *really* kills your kittens!

Myriam Schweingruber schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch
Sun Jun 21 16:20:58 CEST 2009

Hi all,

this is the second time today a user loses almost all of his
collection due to the "Organize files" dialog. Luckily so far it only
happened to SVN users who are a bit more tech savy who can eventually
try to recover stuff with the appropriate tools, but the normal user
might well try that option out some day and be very angry for the loss
of his music.

"Organize by Artists initials" is set by default, and, unless the user
is very careful, the whole collection is moved to another folder
structure on the collection drive. If the users doesn't have write
access to it, everything is moved to /dev/null without warning! Also,
no warning is given if the drive is full, neither...

It's neither evident for the user to see that the files will be moved
nor where those will be moved, as the dialog just executes without
warning and doesn't explain what is happening at all.

I strongly suggest to remove this option ASAP until somebody finds
time to make this behave correctly, with the appropriate warnings and
usability changes.

Also, we should patch 2.1 to disable this option there, too, IMHO.

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org