Organize files dialog: Dangerous, it *really* kills your kittens!

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 19:07:52 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Myriam
Schweingruber<schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this is the second time today a user loses almost all of his
> collection due to the "Organize files" dialog. Luckily so far it only
> happened to SVN users who are a bit more tech savy who can eventually
> try to recover stuff with the appropriate tools, but the normal user
> might well try that option out some day and be very angry for the loss
> of his music.
>
> "Organize by Artists initials" is set by default, and, unless the user

Not sure what that has to do with it. :)

> is very careful, the whole collection is moved to another folder
> structure on the collection drive. If the users doesn't have write
> access to it, everything is moved to /dev/null without warning! Also,
> no warning is given if the drive is full, neither...
>
> It's neither evident for the user to see that the files will be moved
> nor where those will be moved, as the dialog just executes without
> warning and doesn't explain what is happening at all.
>
> I strongly suggest to remove this option ASAP until somebody finds
> time to make this behave correctly, with the appropriate warnings and
> usability changes.
>
> Also, we should patch 2.1 to disable this option there, too, IMHO.

This makes sense to me. I looked at the code some, its pretty
complicated since its generalized to deal with iPod and such as well.
So it does do a copy at one point, and then a deletion at another
point. Its easy to see how if the error handling isn't right (its even
listed as a //TODO in SqlCollectionLocation) that lost music would
occur.

It makes sense to me that *only* move actions should be allowed. If
kio_move isn't possible (such as a computer to an iPod) then removing
the source files shouldn't be an option. QFile::remove(
sqlTrack->playableUrl().path() ) is just too dangerous to every appear
anywhere in our source code, IMO.

Ian