Equalizer support in Amarok - patch

Artur Szymiec artur.szymiec at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 20:52:20 CEST 2009

Hi Nikolaj,

thank you very much for comments.

Regarding:

- significant clipping - please pull new svn version of phonon - I've
fixed this issue already. Please use svn - it's not yet in git. I've
sent a message to this list with announcement.
  And yes the sound is now much much better - 99.999% compatible with
Audacious so it'll leave xine behind IMHO. I wouldn't worry about ranges
- because this equalizer code have
  nothing to do with the xine.
- "[...] Also, we obviously need a dialog for manually configuring
levels [...]" - well I don't understand what you mean by that exactly.
If you navigate to settings->configuration->playback you'll find
  an equalizer configuration box where you can change/save/delete
presets manually.
- Regarding whatever the action menu with preset list should be under
settings or tools is open - let's users decide :)

So please update your phonon,then use a configuration / playback dialog
and let me know whatever you like it ...

Best regards

Artur

Dnia 2009-07-20, pon o godzinie 20:39 +0200, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen pisze:

> Hi Artur.
>
> I finally managed to get Amarok to play sounds again so I could
> actually test your patch.
>
> First of all: wow, well done, it actually works! :-)
>
> I have a few comments:
>
> I don't know if this belongs in the settings menu, I am thinking it
> would fit better under "tools", but this is up for discussion. Also,
> we obviously need a dialog for manually configuring levels. And then
> people would likely want to be able to save their own custom presets
> as well, so there are a lot of things to disuss and work on here! :-)
>
> And then, as you yourself mention, there are some pretty significant
> clipping in both the trebble especially the bass in some of the
> presets. I am thinking that it might make sense to perhaps limit the
> range a little, as it seems like we are really going beyound xines
> abilities with some settings?
>
> Anyway, keep up the good work, many people will be very happy to get
> this feature back!
>
> - Nikolaj

\
Omnes Vulnerant Postuma Necat ...
Registered User No 397465
GNU/Linux Linux 2.6.28-12-generic x86_64
(K)/(U)buntu 9.04