Fwd: Summary of KDE 4.2 Release Party in Zurich

Gregory Meyer greg at gkmeyer.com
Fri Jan 30 03:36:26 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org>wrote:

> * Further on we went to a dinner with Aaron Seigo, Alexandra Leisse
> from Nokia, the president of the FSFE, and others. We did have food
> and good conversations about social and technical issues surrounding
> KDE, Amarok, and Free Software in general. I'm asking the treasurer of
> Amarok for reimbursement of the costs of this dinner, as I consider it
> a business dinner and important for the project (this cost is
> moderate).

I personally have no philosophical problem with stuff like this, it is a big
part of creating goodwill and cooperation, as well as cultivate
relationships that will prove handy for technical matters.   But here's
where I always have some trouble, and not specifically with Mark.  As
custodian of funds, I don't think I should necessarily approve any
disbursements.  Only carry them out based on someone else's approval.  This
is just good business practice and it isn't about not trusting anyone in
particular, and as I said I think this is legitimate for reimbursement.

--
Greg