Patches for OpenSolaris

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 21:14:28 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org> wrote:
> Here at CampKDE I showed the Amarok dudes how it would run on OpenSolaris; it
> does take a fistful of patches (mostly simple ones). Casey suggested I
> actually send them in instead of blogging only :)
>
> The three const-match patches make declaration and definition of various
> methods match in terms of constness; gcc thinks this is fine, but for
> compliers that consider constness in resolution or linking, this is a problem.

Well having that stuff match makes sense to me. :)

> Free is in <stdlib.h> and doesn't necessarily live in the :: namespace.
>
> The findmysql one is possibly not suitable for inclusion -- it adds some more
> search paths and things to find MySQL in the default install locations on
> Solaris.

Feel free to commit this. The reason I forked findmysql was so that
issues like this could be easily fixed.

> The md5 code uses the linux kernel types u_int32_t instead of standard integer
> types like uint32_t.
>
> namespace foo { extern bar; } gives me a foo::bar symbol instead of a ::bar
> symbol, so the namespace patch moves one extern around.
>
> The scriptengine has some constness issues and a ; too many. I think Casey has
> already committed that last one.
>
> The amarok-wide patch is rather klumky, since it just forces in the Solaris
> wide character functions instead of doing some suitable conditional
> compilation. I'd be ok with maintaing this one separately.

This patch breaks EBN guidelines by having includes before the .cpp's
own header file! For shame. :D

> The DEBUG_BLOCK macro uses the gcc-ism __PRETTY_FUNCTION__; see qdebug for one
> way of dealing with this instead. I've gone for the boring approach of
> #defining it to a string that is semi-sort-of-meaningful.

Looks harmless, go ahead and commit. /me wonders whats going on with MSVC.

> Finally, no-webkit removes WebKit from linking, because it conflicts with kjs
> in KDE -- those are harmless collissions, i think, but it's annoying to see
> all those show up on linking.

I guess all our webkit use is in plasmoids, probably webkit is listed
there for only historical reasons.

Thanks for your work, I keep meaning to try out OpenSolaris to use
dtrace and such.

Ian