my git branches: acoustic fingerprinting and playlist generator

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 16:20:35 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 8:59 AM, Soren Harward <stharward at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 15 January 2009 22:42:30 Ian Monroe wrote:
>
>> Do you have your git repo published somewhere so we could do a little
>
>> pre-commit code reviewing?
>
> The code has been changed very little from the patch that I sent out a
> couple of weeks ago. The acoustic fingerprinting stuff is a little invasive,
> but the playlist generator is almost completely independent from the rest of
> the existing code.
>
>> Does GTACFeat mean Amarok directly depends on gstreamer?
>
> Not exactly. The acoustic similarity functions of GTACFeat don't depend on
> GStreamer, so the library itself can be built without it. But the audio has
> to be decoded to calculate the fingerprint, and that requires GStreamer, at
> least as of right now. I would have liked to have used Phonon, but when I
> was writing GTACFeat over the summer, Phonon's raw data output just wasn't
> up to the task. And the AudioDataOutput sink is still in the Experimental
> namespace, which doesn't seem very encouraging.

Well I can't really help but feel that you started on this project
backwards then, the first priority should've been fixing phonon. I
don't like the idea of a gstreamer dependency.

I wish I've been working more on phonon myself, but phonon development
is a rather lonely place at the moment (luckily Kretz is going to
finish school and work for Qt Software in the latter part of this year
I think).

Ian