GitHub

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Wed Jan 7 06:09:09 CET 2009

On 6 Jan 2009, at 23:05, Jeff Mitchell wrote:

> Leo Franchi wrote:
>> On 6 Jan 2009, at 22:04, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
>>> Please understand that I'm not totally down on Github...it has its
>>> place, and works very well for some things, especially for small
>>> personal projects.  But I've also had to do lots of dealing with
>>> what
>>> happens when things go wrong with its model, which starts to break
>>> down
>>> and make things harder when people are doing more than sending
>>> just a
>>> patch or two, especially if they are not sharing an account.
>>>
>>> If Amarok people want to use Github, that's fine; but I would very
>>> strongly recommend that everyone then share an account for Amarok
>>> development work.  It's also worth noting that Github is closed
>>> source,
>>> so if people are uncomfortable with that, they should be looking at
>>> Gitorious or some such thing.
>>>

>> So all that said:
>>
>> what do you recommend for us?
>
> I recommend, if Github is used, that we all share an account.
>
> Whether Github should be used at all is a matter that the group will
> have to decide.  It provides some ease of use in terms of setup, but
> makes things more complicated for anyone outside the project that
> wants
> to track our work while providing patches of their own.

I meant what are the non-github options? Coming from the relative git
n00b that I am, are the choices github OR we host our own git server
on kollide? Whats the  benefit of doing github we can easily just make
our own server do the same and not have all those nasty issues that
you mention?

leo

---
Leo Franchi				(650) 704 3680