GitHub

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Wed Jan 7 06:05:04 CET 2009

Leo Franchi wrote:
> On 6 Jan 2009, at 22:04, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
>> Please understand that I'm not totally down on Github...it has its
>> place, and works very well for some things, especially for small
>> personal projects.  But I've also had to do lots of dealing with what
>> happens when things go wrong with its model, which starts to break
>> down
>> and make things harder when people are doing more than sending just a
>> patch or two, especially if they are not sharing an account.
>>
>> If Amarok people want to use Github, that's fine; but I would very
>> strongly recommend that everyone then share an account for Amarok
>> development work.  It's also worth noting that Github is closed
>> source,
>> so if people are uncomfortable with that, they should be looking at
>> Gitorious or some such thing.
>>

> So all that said:
>
> what do you recommend for us?

I recommend, if Github is used, that we all share an account.

Whether Github should be used at all is a matter that the group will
have to decide.  It provides some ease of use in terms of setup, but
makes things more complicated for anyone outside the project that wants
to track our work while providing patches of their own.

--Jeff