feature freeze

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Mon Feb 16 07:36:17 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Dan Meltzer
<parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 1:15 AM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:

>>> I'm all for it! Except that I would even prefer 2 weeks. That's
>>> because our feature list is already impressive, but our bugs list is
>>> daunting, and our regressions are painful. So I think 2 weeks make a
>>> good compromise.
>>>

>>> PS:
>>> We've never been too anal about the freeze. If someone wants to add a
>>> button here or a mini addition there, we can still talk about it after
>>> the freeze, IMHO. That makes the "freeze" a lot less scary than it
>>> could be, I find.
>>
>> So, can we get a decision on this? If not, I would simply say "Let's
>> start to go into feature freeze mode now, without being too anal about
>> it in the beginning." This would translate directly to: Focus more on
>> bugs, less on features.
>
> I'm fine with 2 or 3 weeks.  The only thing that I know of thats still
> floating around that might be drop worthy (that we talked about on irc
> today..) is the acoustic fingerprinting stuff.  If we don't hear back
> from Soren by next weekend I'd say we could freeze then, if we do hear
> back I'd like a week or so to see about getting it merged...

TBH, (as I told you already on IRC), I think one has to draw a line
somewhere, and I do not think that the fingerprinting patch should go
into 2.1, but rather into 2.2. Several reasons:

1) Enough features for 2.1. Adding another one means even more bugs to
fix / watch over.

2) Soren's current status is rather unclear. He got a new job, and he
may or may not be too busy to finish and maintain the code right now.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer