extragear/multimedia/amarok

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Tue Feb 3 13:58:22 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 13:49, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> To expand on my own post: About one hour after the switch the
> following happened on the #amarok.dev IRC channel:
>
> (removed some lines of noise, but the tenor of the discussion is unchanged)
>
> 20:50 < LaStik> devs, do you know, can i compile kde 4.2 on kubuntu 8.04 ?
> 20:50 < lfranchi> LaStik: you can get the packages if you want
> 20:50 < markey> see, and here the fun starts
> 20:50 < markey> ^
> 20:50 < markey> :)
> 20:51 < LaStik> lfranchi: for 8.04 no packages with kde 4.2 :(
> 20:51 < Mamarok> LaStik: not a good idea to do it on 8.04
> 20:51 < Mamarok> the 4.2 packages are for 8.10 only
> 20:51  * lfranchi defers to  ubuntu people for proper 4.2 fetching techniques
> 20:52 < markey> like nostradamus, I did exactly foresee these problems
> and others
> 20:52 < Mamarok> LaStik: there's a repo to activate, experimental, see
> kubuntu.org
> 20:52 < markey> or maybe because I have some experience with things
> 20:52 < markey> but yeah, ignore that
> 20:52 < Mamarok> but you will have to upgrade your distro first
> 20:52 < LaStik> Mamarok: i need to compile Amarok :))
> 20:52 < lfranchi> markey: technically youa re only right if LaStik
> decides to leave amarok
> 20:52 < lfranchi> :)
> 20:53 < Nightrose> LaStik: 8.04 is old - you should upgrade to 8.10
> 20:53 < LaStik> Nightrose: i know, but i think 8.10 is slow
> 20:54 < Nightrose> what exactly is slow?
> 20:54 < sven423> after an uncaught exception a script should be
> stopped, no matter what, right?
> 20:54 < Mamarok> Nightrose: a lot of people will remain on 8.04
> because of the non-KDE LTS parts

For all fairness: You left out one important part from this log: Me
offering him help and him upgrading to 4.2. Problem solved.

> Further on, I did the upgrade dance today myself on my main
> workstation, running Kubuntu 8.10. The upgrade itself was pretty
> trivial (the instructions are good), but I did end up with multiple
> package conflicts, which had to be resolved manually. Myriam and
> Jonathan Riddell helped me with this.

You should have written them down so they can get fixed.
In case anyone else ever experiences this: write down the name of the
conflicting files and poke me.

> All in all, the upgrade took about 70 minutes, and a good deal of
> technical expertise. A newbie might have given up.

Yes but we are talking about devs and testers. That is a very different thing.

Cheers
Lydia

--
Lydia Pintscher