extragear/multimedia/amarok

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Tue Feb 3 13:49:15 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Leo Franchi <lfranchi at kde.org> wrote:
>> SVN commit 920313 by lfranchi:
>>
>> switch to linking to libplasma from kdelibs 4.2 instead of our own. awesome!
>> this depends on kde 4.2, but i have checked with the distros and it will not be a problem at all for 2.1 to depend on 2.2, even in a best-case-scenario where we release in 2 months.
>
> As I had already explained on IRC, I request to reconsider this
> commit. I do not think it wise to start depending on KDE 4.2 right
> now, for a number of reasons:
>
> 1)
> KDE 4.2 was officially released on January 27 2009. In other words: a
> few days ago. This is very little time.
>
> We _are_ going to lose a number of contributors and testers because of
> this. It's obvious that not all of our SVN users are necessarily using
> KDE 4.2 yet.

To expand on my own post: About one hour after the switch the
following happened on the #amarok.dev IRC channel:

(removed some lines of noise, but the tenor of the discussion is unchanged)

20:50 < LaStik> devs, do you know, can i compile kde 4.2 on kubuntu 8.04 ?
20:50 < lfranchi> LaStik: you can get the packages if you want
20:50 < markey> see, and here the fun starts
20:50 < markey> ^
20:50 < markey> :)
20:51 < LaStik> lfranchi: for 8.04 no packages with kde 4.2 :(
20:51 < Mamarok> LaStik: not a good idea to do it on 8.04
20:51 < Mamarok> the 4.2 packages are for 8.10 only
20:51  * lfranchi defers to  ubuntu people for proper 4.2 fetching techniques
20:52 < markey> like nostradamus, I did exactly foresee these problems
and others
20:52 < Mamarok> LaStik: there's a repo to activate, experimental, see
kubuntu.org
20:52 < markey> or maybe because I have some experience with things
20:52 < markey> but yeah, ignore that
20:52 < Mamarok> but you will have to upgrade your distro first
20:52 < LaStik> Mamarok: i need to compile Amarok :))
20:52 < lfranchi> markey: technically youa re only right if LaStik
decides to leave amarok
20:52 < lfranchi> :)
20:53 < Nightrose> LaStik: 8.04 is old - you should upgrade to 8.10
20:53 < LaStik> Nightrose: i know, but i think 8.10 is slow
20:54 < Nightrose> what exactly is slow?
20:54 < sven423> after an uncaught exception a script should be
stopped, no matter what, right?
20:54 < Mamarok> Nightrose: a lot of people will remain on 8.04
because of the non-KDE LTS parts

Further on, I did the upgrade dance today myself on my main
workstation, running Kubuntu 8.10. The upgrade itself was pretty
trivial (the instructions are good), but I did end up with multiple
package conflicts, which had to be resolved manually. Myriam and
Jonathan Riddell helped me with this.

All in all, the upgrade took about 70 minutes, and a good deal of
technical expertise. A newbie might have given up.

Now, do you still think the KDE 4.2 requirement is not going to lose
us contributors and users?

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer