extragear/multimedia/amarok

Erik Hovland erik at hovland.org
Mon Feb 2 20:19:45 CET 2009

> SVN commit 920313 by lfranchi:
>
> switch to linking to libplasma from kdelibs 4.2 instead of our own. awesome!
>
> this depends on kde 4.2, but i have checked with the distros and it will not
> be a problem at all for 2.1 to depend on 2.2, even in a best-case-scenario
> where we release in 2 months.
>
> As I had already explained on IRC, I request to reconsider this
> commit. I do not think it wise to start depending on KDE 4.2 right
> now, for a number of reasons:
>
> 1)
> KDE 4.2 was officially released on January 27 2009. In other words: a
> few days ago. This is very little time.
>
> We _are_ going to lose a number of contributors and testers because of
> this. It's obvious that not all of our SVN users are necessarily using
> KDE 4.2 yet.
>
> If someone is using an SVN prerelease version of amarok, asking for a *major
> release* of KDE seems to me to be a pretty small request.

No, but showing a bit more restraint might have been prudent. Note that not even
kubuntu has readily available packages for 4.2 on intrepid. So that
means that if
someone wants to now develop w/ Amarok they have to once again get on the
KDE source code train. Not a pleasant proposition for those of us who would
prefer to only work on Amarok and deal w/ its bugs.

Having said that, the deal is done - I say don't revert it. Better I
struggle in the
background if the rest of the devs are already clipping away on 4.2. I am likely
to just not 'git svn rebase' for a couple of weeks until kubuntu catches up.

> 3)
> The only reason for the dependency on KDE 4.2 is currently LibPlasma.
> We do have the option of importing the latest LibPlasma into Amarok,
> as we used to do. Later on, we could still decide whether we want to
> keep this or not; changing this would be trivial.
>
> yes, the reason to do this is to remove the temporary hack that is copying
> libplasma in our source tree. by doing this we lose out on bugfixes, need to
> make sure that things don't get out of sync, and add more work for ourselves
> in the future.

One of the reasons for the switch was because staying on the tip of plasma was
more trouble then the benefit of getting the bugfixes. Is anyone sure that these
troubles are over? I know they moved to kdelibs and have pledged a stable API,
but "the proof is in the pudding."

Erik Hovland
erik at hovland.org
http://hovland.org/