extragear/multimedia/amarok

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Mon Feb 2 20:00:46 CET 2009

On 2 Feb 2009, at 18:51, Mark Kretschmann wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Leo Franchi <lfranchi at kde.org> wrote:
>> SVN commit 920313 by lfranchi:
>>
>> switch to linking to libplasma from kdelibs 4.2 instead of our own.
>> awesome!
>> this depends on kde 4.2, but i have checked with the distros and it
>> will not be a problem at all for 2.1 to depend on 2.2, even in a
>> best-case-scenario where we release in 2 months.
>
> As I had already explained on IRC, I request to reconsider this
> commit. I do not think it wise to start depending on KDE 4.2 right
> now, for a number of reasons:
>
> 1)
> KDE 4.2 was officially released on January 27 2009. In other words: a
> few days ago. This is very little time.
>
> We _are_ going to lose a number of contributors and testers because of
> this. It's obvious that not all of our SVN users are necessarily using
> KDE 4.2 yet.

If someone is using an SVN prerelease version of amarok, asking for a
*major release* of KDE seems to me to be a pretty small request.

> 2)
> Our release schedule for Amarok 2.1 is not yet existent. Depending on
> the release date, it might be too soon to require KDE 4.2. This is not
> yet clear.

Best case scenario that we both agreed on was we can release 2.1 in 2
months. I personally talked to ubuntu/suse/debian/mandriva packagers,
and have seen the gentoo packager say, that this does not cause any
problems at all if 2.1 is released in 2 months depending on 4.2.

> 3)
> The only reason for the dependency on KDE 4.2 is currently LibPlasma.
> We do have the option of importing the latest LibPlasma into Amarok,
> as we used to do. Later on, we could still decide whether we want to
> keep this or not; changing this would be trivial.

yes, the reason to do this is to remove the temporary hack that is
copying libplasma in our source tree. by doing this we lose out on
bugfixes, need to make sure that things don't get out of sync, and add
more work for ourselves in the future.

> 4)
> The dependency is (for the moment) leading to problems with one of our
> commercial partners.

could you explain?

leo
---