extragear/multimedia/amarok

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Mon Feb 2 19:51:48 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 6:57 PM, Leo Franchi <lfranchi at kde.org> wrote:
> SVN commit 920313 by lfranchi:
>
> switch to linking to libplasma from kdelibs 4.2 instead of our own. awesome!
> this depends on kde 4.2, but i have checked with the distros and it will not be a problem at all for 2.1 to depend on 2.2, even in a best-case-scenario where we release in 2 months.

As I had already explained on IRC, I request to reconsider this
commit. I do not think it wise to start depending on KDE 4.2 right
now, for a number of reasons:

1)
KDE 4.2 was officially released on January 27 2009. In other words: a
few days ago. This is very little time.

We _are_ going to lose a number of contributors and testers because of
this. It's obvious that not all of our SVN users are necessarily using
KDE 4.2 yet.

2)
Our release schedule for Amarok 2.1 is not yet existent. Depending on
the release date, it might be too soon to require KDE 4.2. This is not
yet clear.

3)
The only reason for the dependency on KDE 4.2 is currently LibPlasma.
We do have the option of importing the latest LibPlasma into Amarok,
as we used to do. Later on, we could still decide whether we want to
keep this or not; changing this would be trivial.

4)
The dependency is (for the moment) leading to problems with one of our
commercial partners.

PS: I've been informed that the dependency issue has been discussed on
the amarok-devel list earlier. I should have intervened there, but
missed the chance (travelling, etc). Sorry about that.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer