Proposal: Author status for Teo Mrnjavac and Alejandro Wainzinger

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 11:49:58 CEST 2009

> Whilst the above are all true, I think that Teo still has a lot to
> learn about our community. I find that at times he can be abrasive
> with other team members and doesn't take criticism well.

Seb, you recently gave Teo and me a dose of, I think the term you used
was, "Australian directness". Now it's my turn.

I know you do not mean it this way, but taking criticism from you can
be quite a lot like getting the living daylights beat out of you. I
know this, as you damn near scared me away for good when I took my
first small steps towards joining the Amarok project some years back.
You have a form of written expression that tend to make people,
especially those who don't know you, feel that you are targeting them
personally. While people eventually lean to filter your criticism down
to the factual basis (which is always there) I have had to convince
Teo several times that you are not on a personal mission to belittle
him at every chance you get.

As such the communication between you and Teo has been less than
smooth, but I do not think this is an indication of a general
inability on Teo's part to accept criticism. And I do not agree with
this reason for not making Teo an author.

> ps - these are my personal thoughts and obviously do not reflect that
> of the "Amarok project". If anybody feels that I am being too harsh,
> or that we have not judged previous candidates with such scrutiny,
> please voice your thoughts.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't think the bar was set quite
as high when I got accepted as an Author, and at the time, my
contributions were still solidly focuses on the Magnatune stuff and I
had done little code beyond that.

- Nikolaj