MySQLe link issue

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Thu Sep 25 14:31:01 CEST 2008

Soren Harward wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 September 2008 14:54:24 Edward Hades wrote:
>> Sorry for bending the discussion line, but what makes you think the
>> problem is specific to Gentoo? I've just checked Debian etch's mysql
>> embedded library (which is contained in libmysqlclient package for the
>> obvious reasons, not directly related to this post), and it came out
>> non-fPIC too.
>
> Well, I didn't think it was Gentoo-specific.  I was just stating that the three
> people that I knew who were having problems (Mikko, Jeff, and me) were all on
> Gentoo, and that my efforts were focused on getting it running on Gentoo, because
> that's what I use.

Well, it's also because the default on Gentoo seems to be
fatal-warnings.  Not sure where that's being set, I haven't investigated
enough.  Certainly it seems to be disabled for ebuilds, because instead
of bailing on those, they flag them as QA notices.

I wonder if there's a way in the A2 build system that we can filter out
that flag.

Regardless, I believe whoever makes the A2 beta 2 ebuild will have an
*easier* time, because they have ebuild classes that can do that kind of
filtering already.  So it's us build-from-source guys that have the
problems -- but talking to the Gentoo maintainer of Amarok may help.

--Jeff