MySQLe link issue

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Tue Sep 23 21:34:27 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 1:44 PM, Soren Harward <stharward at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 September 2008 14:27:00 Ian Monroe wrote:
>> Its not a question of it being broken, we just need a configuration
>> free MySQL. This could be done via libmysqlclient, it would just take
>> more work.
>
> What do you mean by "configuration free"?  Something that doesn't store any
> config settings (ie, host, user, password, dbname) in the amarokrc file?  What is
> the problem with storing settings?  Is the problem the stored settings themselves,
> or that a user has to configure MySQL so that Amarok can use it?

Yea the latter. Its a problem that can be solved, Amarok could start
its own mysqld instance.

> If the latter,
> would it be acceptable to put in a Wiki entry that says "You can use regular
> MySQL, but we don't really support it and you have to edit the amarokrc file on
> your own"?

The default needs to be configuration free, but yea the plan was to
always support externally configured mysql's for advanced users. But I
don't see the relevance of that on this conversation.

> Given that there's a low chance of Gentoo making the compilation change to
> accommodate us, what should we do to get Amarok2 available on Gentoo?

Many other distros have made the changes...