MySQLe link issue

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Tue Sep 23 22:22:05 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Soren Harward <stharward at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 September 2008 14:54:24 Edward Hades wrote:
>> Sorry for bending the discussion line, but what makes you think the
>> problem is specific to Gentoo? I've just checked Debian etch's mysql
>> embedded library (which is contained in libmysqlclient package for the
>> obvious reasons, not directly related to this post), and it came out
>> non-fPIC too.
>
> Well, I didn't think it was Gentoo-specific.  I was just stating that the three
> people that I knew who were having problems (Mikko, Jeff, and me) were all on
> Gentoo, and that my efforts were focused on getting it running on Gentoo, because
> that's what I use.
>
> At any rate, here's my take on the MySQLe compilation problem: I think that
> replacing SQLite with MySQLe is a good long-term plan.  However, we have
> targeted beta2 for release on Thursday, and there are compile errors with
> MySQLe on at least two different distros, and the chances of those errors being
> fixed before Thursday are very slim.  If we release beta2 on Thursday with
> MySQLe, then at least Debian Etch and Gentoo, and likely some other distros as
> well, will not have beta2 packages.  Thus, I suggest that we roll back today's
> MySQLe SVN commit (or put it in a different branch) until the distros get their
> MySQLe packages fixed, or until we can come up with a good workaround for those
> distros that have non-PIC libmysqld.a.

I disagree, I think tagging beta2 ASAP is the best way to get these
problems resolved. The main reason I wanted to get MySQL into beta2
was so that these compile-time issues would be resolved. Giving all
the distros a tarball that they need to work on is the best way to do
that.

When I offered to revert, what I was really worried about was runtime
regressions. So far lfranchi is the only one with runtime problems.

Ian