MySQLe link issue

Soren Harward stharward at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 22:12:53 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 23 September 2008 14:54:24 Edward Hades wrote:
> Sorry for bending the discussion line, but what makes you think the
> problem is specific to Gentoo? I've just checked Debian etch's mysql
> embedded library (which is contained in libmysqlclient package for the
> obvious reasons, not directly related to this post), and it came out
> non-fPIC too.

Well, I didn't think it was Gentoo-specific.  I was just stating that the three
people that I knew who were having problems (Mikko, Jeff, and me) were all on
Gentoo, and that my efforts were focused on getting it running on Gentoo, because
that's what I use.

At any rate, here's my take on the MySQLe compilation problem: I think that
replacing SQLite with MySQLe is a good long-term plan.  However, we have
targeted beta2 for release on Thursday, and there are compile errors with
MySQLe on at least two different distros, and the chances of those errors being
fixed before Thursday are very slim.  If we release beta2 on Thursday with
MySQLe, then at least Debian Etch and Gentoo, and likely some other distros as
well, will not have beta2 packages.  Thus, I suggest that we roll back today's
MySQLe SVN commit (or put it in a different branch) until the distros get their
MySQLe packages fixed, or until we can come up with a good workaround for those
distros that have non-PIC libmysqld.a.

--
Soren Harward
stharward at gmail.com