enabling qtscript under windows

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Tue Sep 2 17:37:19 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Patrick Spendrin <ps_ml at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Hydrogen forced me to get the qtscript libraries to work on windows which
> have previously not been working due to a linker error.

Thanks for the work. Or maybe thank hydrogen for coercing you... :)

> The problem is here that the linker command as given by cmake exceeded the
> maximum amount of characters allowed on windows for command line arguments
> (guess it is 32'768 ;-)).
>
> There are two possible workarounds and I made a patch for each:
> 1) cut down the length of each files path until the overall length is
> smaller than 32'000 characters. (amarok-qtscript-cutdown-names.diff)
> 2) split up the library into multiple libraries, of which only one is a
> non-static one. (amarok-qtscript-helperLibs.diff)
>
> Both solutions are quite hacky but there is no other way anymore except to
> hack the compiler.

I like solution 2 and I don't think its even that hacky. Giving each
directory its own static library is actually a pretty standard thing
to do, especially back in the automake days.

But in your patch you have some if( MINGW )'s. First off, IIRC MSVC
was having the same problem. But also I don't see the point: I think
it'd be fine if Linux also used static libraries. This would make the
cmake cleaner.

Ian