Info needed for KDE4 Release Event talk

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Fri Jan 11 17:14:55 CET 2008

On Friday 11 January 2008, Ian Monroe wrote:
> On Jan 10, 2008 8:36 PM, Jeff Mitchell <kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com> wrote:
> > Hey guys--
> >
> > I'm putting together a talk for the KDE4 Release Event and I need a bit
> > of information.  The first bit is probably mostly (all) from Leo, the
> > second I'm not sure (but maybe Dan?)
> >
> > 1) How did we enhance Plasma while integrating it into Amarok?  Details
> > (and their significance) are appreciated.
> >
> > 2) Ditto for Phonon.
>
> For Phonon you have to go back to K3M in the Netherlands. Kretz was
> there and he did an overview of the Phonon API. We had just added (or
> were thinking about) gapless playback, and we noted that it would be
> impossible in the Phonon API he presented. So he added the enqueue
> methods to MediaObject and the signals to let you know when the track
> is almost over.

Actually I added a new class for gapless playback back then. It needed a few
more iterations to get ready. But yeah the enqueue and setTransition you can
find now in MediaObject are there because of Amarok.

> We also talked to him about our need for analyzer support and such,
> but I think he already had this sort of thing in mind.

Yes, I was secretly hoping somebody would implement the needed stuff in the
xine backend... :-)

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de