Info needed for KDE4 Release Event talk

Leo Franchi lfranchi at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 22:27:09 CET 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 6:36 PM, Jeff Mitchell <kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com> wrote:

> Hey guys--
>
> I'm putting together a talk for the KDE4 Release Event and I need a bit of
> information.  The first bit is probably mostly (all) from Leo, the second
> I'm
> not sure (but maybe Dan?)
>
> 1) How did we enhance Plasma while integrating it into Amarok?  Details
> (and
> their significance) are appreciated.

Sorry for the late respose... i'm visiting friends in palo alto and i don't
have a laptop....

anyway, the relationship between plasma and amarok has been beneficial, in
my opinion, for both sides. by being the first app that actually used
libplasma as a library, we were able to expose the parts of plasma that
needed to be separated in order to allow it to be used in a 3rd party app.

when i think back to the first initial weeks of plasma integration, i
remember having to struggle (and write hacks) to get a around a lot of
plasma-specific things. then i remember submitting the patches to plasma,
asiego summarily rejecting them (rightfully) as they were just temporary
hacks, and then solving the problem with a general design solution.

so i dont know exactly how much we "enhanced" plasma, as most of our
developments are not directly plasma related but more plasma-implementation
related. i think the biggest contribution is just underlining the important
of making it app-neutral throughout the development process, which in turn
made it much easier to have the very elegant and neat framework that
currently exists. imagine trying to bolt on cleanliness and app-independence
once 4.0 had been released and the API stabilized.

leo

> 2) Ditto for Phonon.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

Leo Franchi
4305 Charlemagne Ct         lfranchi at gmail.com
Austin                                 cell: (650) 704 3680
TX, USA                              home: (650) 329 0125