Default music dir and refactoring of collection config

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Tue Feb 26 20:13:20 CET 2008

Maximilian Kossick wrote:
> Hi,
> a TT labs blog posting [1] describes how one can access specific
> locations in a cross-platform way using Qt. I know that Harald wanted
> us to adopt the freedesktop spec mentioned there a few months ago, but
> nothing happened. Instead of having to configure the collection
> directory on first startup, i want Amarok to default to the user's
> music directory. The reason I'm sending this mail (I think all of us
> would agree that that change makes sense) is that I want to refactor
> the collection config to use KCMs and the plugin selector widget, like
> it is done for the services. This would make it possible to add config
> dialogs for other collections, or even disable collections (Nikolaj
> mentioned that he wanted to disable the DAAP collection a while ago)
> Unfortunately it would be harder to change the collection directories
> using this new aproach (open Amarok's config dialog->collection
> config->open config dialog for "Local collection", or whatever it ends
> up being called). Do you think it is still necessary to have the
> collection directory config in such a prominent place when Amarok i
> able to use a sensible default on all systems? (this raises the
> question if all linux distros support the freedesktop spec by the time
> amarok 2 is released?)

I had thought, alternately, that XDG was dead, or that KDE wasn't going
to support it any longer, or something.  Huh.

Anyways, I think the change makes sense *provided that* there is a way
for the user to specify their music location.  On Windows and Mac it may
be pretty prominent, but I don't really know anyone on Linux that puts
their music in ~/Music.  So it'd be nice if there was a way to set the
user's default music location (in a permanent, XDG way on Linux, or
registry way on Windows, or plist way on Mac).  I left a remark on the
blog asking if this would be the case.

As for the extra click-through for local collection, doesn't really
bother me.  With abstracting collections, it doesn't seem that the local
one (or ones, as I thought would be the case) necessarily deserves
special treatment.

--Jeff