Donate link?

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Fri Dec 26 12:49:13 CET 2008

Heya peoples!

  Markey suggested this be put to the list, as everybody's sort of not around
so much at the moment ;) Seb noticed that Digikam has a "Donate money" link in
their help menu, and we got to pondering in channel wether or not this would
work for us. The discussion so far:

<sebr> digikam has a "donate money" link in the help menu
<sebr> interesting
<leinir> Hmm... That's a really good idea for at least the windows and macos
versions...
* Nightrose doesn't like it tbh
<leinir> Nightrose: It's often done in windows and macos, but yes, in linux it
is sort of... not done :)
<Nightrose> leinir: often done doesn't equal it being a good idea :P
<leinir> No, it doesn't :)
<leinir> But in this case, if it's just a link in the help menu, i think it's
ok :)
<Nightrose> and before doing that i'dreally like to see how our cooperations
with the shops work out
<leinir> Doing it like Azureus did, for example, is not really how you should
do it ;)
<leinir> (for those that don't know, Azureus would pop up a dialogue, begging
you to donate, every so often)
<markey> that would be far too annoying
<markey> at maximum, we could add a menu item
<leinir> *nods* Yup, they did it anyway ;)
<markey> as someone said above
<leinir> markey: That's sort of what i've been arguing too :)
<Nightrose> please let's wait with this stuff at least 6 months to see how the
deals with the companies work out
<leinir> Nightrose: Sure :)
<markey> I have no issues with it, if it's done in a good way
<markey> you can interpret "good" as you like
<markey> ;)
<Nightrose> hehe
<markey> well it shouldn't look like we're begging
<markey> that's really poor
<leinir> markey: We don't want to look like moneygrabbers, though, i think is
what Nightrose is saying :)
<leinir> Yeah :)
<Nightrose> right
<Nightrose> especially if we don't really need the money
<markey> oh we do need it
<leinir> *nods* My point exactly :)
<markey> still haven't reached our fundraiser goal
<Nightrose> markey: i am talking about the future
<Nightrose> when we have made some money with the shops
<markey> hard to tell how thing will pan out
<markey> things*
<leinir> *nods* Actually that's a point, we can put in the link in 2.0.1, and
then if things work out, we can remove it again in 2.1 or whatnot :)
<markey> you mean an additional entry in the "Help" top level menu?
<markey> or how?
<leinir> *nods* Yeah :)
<markey> and this would open a web browser?
<markey> or show a dialog?
<leinir> i'm kind of arguing to and fro about that in my head...
<markey> be quick about it, 2.0.1 is close ;)
<Nightrose> honestly we have made quite some money with the fundraiser
already...
<Nightrose> i think we should not do it
<leinir> an epileps would indicate opening a dialogue or a window, but is it
enough to show that we actually start a full program?
<Nightrose> even though we have not reached our goal it is a lot of money
<leinir> Nightrose: We've made a lot, yes, but as you remember from last year,
we *use* a lot as well... and it won't get less
<Nightrose> sure
<markey> it's all relative, baby :)
<Nightrose> and we have more money than last year already
<markey> leinir: maybe you could write a mail to amarok-devel? that makes it
easier to discuss

--
..Dan // Leinir..
http://leinir.dk/