Namespacing Collection

Casey Link unnamedrambler at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 14:14:54 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 8:04 AM, Jeff Mitchell <kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com> wrote:
>>> There are undoubtedly apps that do---i mean, we stole our OSD from
>>> konversation IIRC.
>>>
>>> so it may be worthwhile.
>>
>> I've been investigating this topic. The linux desktop really could use
>> a standard cross-desktop notification system. Gnome has libnotify
>> which is based on a galago specification:
>> http://galago-project.org/specs/notification
>

> Since Galago is just an API on top of D-Bus, there's no reason that a
> GUI couldn't be designed anyways that accepts things like an image, a
> string, etc etc, and accepts whatever anyone wants to send it on D-Bus,
> regardless of what spec (Galago, MPRIS, etc.) that particular call is a
> part of.

Check out the spec.. it is not merely for "presence notification."
There are stipulations for placing images, link, and buttons to allow
the user to interact with a notification. They are trying to get that
spec to become a freedesktop.org standard. But I still don't know why
it was rejected by the plasma team; I'll post back when I do.

Casey