Namespacing Collection

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Mon Dec 8 14:04:29 CET 2008

unnamedrambler at gmail.com wrote:
>>> Thought -- does anything else on *nix have an OSD like we do?
>>> Should we
>>> maybe look at trying to split it off and generate a *nix Growl-like
>>> lib?
>> There are undoubtedly apps that do---i mean, we stole our OSD from
>> konversation IIRC.
>>
>> so it may be worthwhile.
>
> I've been investigating this topic. The linux desktop really could use
> a standard cross-desktop notification system. Gnome has libnotify
> which is based on a galago specification:
> http://galago-project.org/specs/notification

Galago is designed for presence notification, really -- your IM client
announcing to other apps that Casey Link has just signed on.  This is
probably the Plasma issue -- it's probably not general-purpose enough.

It's not a notification framework -- AFAIK there is nothing in terms of
how a GUI should behave.

Since Galago is just an API on top of D-Bus, there's no reason that a
GUI couldn't be designed anyways that accepts things like an image, a
string, etc etc, and accepts whatever anyone wants to send it on D-Bus,
regardless of what spec (Galago, MPRIS, etc.) that particular call is a
part of.

--Jeff