Namespacing Collection

unnamedrambler at gmail.com unnamedrambler at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 20:30:14 CET 2008

>> Thought -- does anything else on *nix have an OSD like we do?
>> Should we
>> maybe look at trying to split it off and generate a *nix Growl-like
>> lib?
>
> There are undoubtedly apps that do---i mean, we stole our OSD from
> konversation IIRC.
>
> so it may be worthwhile.

I've been investigating this topic. The linux desktop really could use
a standard cross-desktop notification system. Gnome has libnotify
which is based on a galago specification:
http://galago-project.org/specs/notification

As far as I know there is no KDE implementation of the spec. The
plasma team was looking to implement it, but met with resistance from
the spec authors when they (plasma team) proposed some changes.

But this is definitely off topic. If anyone is interested in pursuing
this idea (/me raises hand), maybe we should split it into another
thread.

Casey