Rescan & Update Confusion Was: Re: Reorganizing files/directoriesand refreshing external changes

Gregory Meyer greg at gkmeyer.com
Mon Aug 25 15:16:54 CEST 2008

One of the things that always worried me before I fully understood is the potential for loss of user created data, e.g., statistics and ratings during a rebuild.

So in a sense, you aren't rebuilding the collection, just re-reading the tags of all the files in the collection folder.  And then in a rescan, you are only reading the tags of files that say they have changes.

Capturing the nuance of these two functions in one word each would be nice.  How about Build: Read the tags of all files in the collection foldern and Update: Scan collection folders for changes