Accessing uids

Maximilian Kossick maximilian.kossick at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 12 20:46:01 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Ian Monroe <ian at monroe.nu> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Maximilian Kossick
> <maximilian.kossick at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Right. Note to myself: if you are answering another gmail user's mail
>> directly to you, make sure to hit "Reply all"
>> Anyway, if we can install Amarok + kde + deps on a mobile device, we
>> really should not be concerned about a couple of kilobytes for storing
>> the complete uidUrl in the database. The flexibility of doing that
>> outweighs the pretty far fetched case of a mobile device which has
>> just enough space for amarok and its dependencies, but no more space
>> for any user data in my opinion.
>>
>> Max
>
> String operations aren't cheap no matter what the computer. The UIDs
> can be stored as integers.
>
> Ian

Although string manipulations are more expensive than working with
simple numbers, they aren't expensive enough to matter for a gui
application, unless you do a lot of them, which don't. I daresay that
any device that is able to run amarok at all (which is probably not
the most efficient application ever written...) will have no problems
doing the string manipulations necessary to load a few hundred uidUrls
(or even a couple of thousands if you want to stretch it) from the
database and interpret those strings.

Max