RFC: collection prefixes

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Tue Aug 12 21:53:47 CEST 2008

Much of the code in the sql collection already is designed to allow for
multiple collections to exist someday.  Functions either operate on
their own m_collection, or take in a SqlCollection* as a parameter.

One notable area where this is not the case is the actual database.  If
the idea is to support multiple SQL-based collections in the future,
there isn't really a database structure to support this.  You could go
about this either by tying urls/tracks/etc. to collection id numbers, or
you could prefix appropriate tables with the collection
name...mycollection_tracks, mycollection_artists...etc.

If we are to support this, it would be better to get the database all
prepped before 2.0 releases, otherwise we have to deal with
modifications in later releases.  Granted this will be much easier
without needing to support three database types, but still.

Thoughts?
--Jeff