item for discussion: internal bug tracker/todo system

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Mon Aug 11 18:52:33 CEST 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Lydia Pintscher
<lydia.pintscher at gmail.com> wrote:
> Your idea is good but not with a second bug tracker!
> We already have one and abusing one as a todo list will lead to no good.
> We need a todo software. So let's get one.
> Can someone look into groupware solutions?

I don't really see the difference between a bug tracker and a todo
list, outside of the latter being very simple.

Our todo list needs the ability to add comments, files. They are more
complicated and long lasting then a shopping list. I looked at and
thought about using TODO software some, but quickly decided that we
really just wanted a bug tracker.

Of course it is possible that there's some advanced todo webapp that
does all that, which would be fine. But at that we're just debating
semantics (such a todo system probably could be used as a bug
tracker!). Whichever web app we use, I do think we should call it our
todo system to make it clear how its purpose is different from the
public bug tracker.

> Also let us first have a look at the new bugzilla and how much it
> improves the situation.

Bugzilla 3 might improve things for the public bug tracker, but I do
think that this is a separate issue. Its just confusing because in
many projects the public bug tracker and the internal todo system are
the same thing. Like I said, I don't think thats possible for us due
to the volume of bug reports.

But there are existing models for us to think about: I'm pretty sure
that Trolltech has a completely private bug tracking system, but they
also have a public one where users can submit and receive the progress
of bugs.

Mostly what I'm worried about from this proposal is whether people
think there's a need and whether people would use it.

Ian