item for discussion: internal bug tracker/todo system

Lydia Pintscher lydia.pintscher at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 18:15:06 CEST 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 18:02, Ian Monroe <ian at monroe.nu> wrote:
> In Amarok development we currently don't have a way to give ourselves
> a todo item. Early in Amarok development a TODO file in SVN was used
> effectively I believe, but even by the time I got there using a text
> file became difficult. We do have a wiki page or two. We could write
> ourselves bugs on bugs.kde.org, but then it would just get lost in the
> general haze of invalid bugs and user wishes. In fact, I don't know if
> I've ever filed a bug against Amarok, which is kind of odd really.
>
> We really lack a tool to easily pick out "what needs to be done next".
> Or a way to remind ourself or another dev of some task that needs to
> be done. Basically if you look at the bug trackers of smaller projects
> this is exactly what they use it for. However our public bug tracker
> is really a tool we only use to communicate with the public, rarely
> with each other. I don't think its possible to fix this, its just the
> nature of having a public bug tracker for a project like Amarok.
>
> So I think a second system should be used. It would be read-only to
> the public, only team members could add bug/todo items to it. I've
> contacted Paleo about adding the JIRA bug system, its by the same
> people who made Fisheye.  I figure it should be the first system we
> look into since we already use Fisheye. A feature I've seen in other
> bug trackers that I'm pretty sure JIRA has as well, is a way to group
> bugs into tasks and then track their completion. That might be useful.
>
> Anyways that's my idea. People should talk about it with each other at
> aKademy and decide if its any good or not. :) Let me know if something
> doesn't make sense.
>
> Ian

Your idea is good but not with a second bug tracker!
We already have one and abusing one as a todo list will lead to no good.
We need a todo software. So let's get one.
Can someone look into groupware solutions?

Also let us first have a look at the new bugzilla and how much it
improves the situation.

Cheers
Lydia

--