item for discussion: internal bug tracker/todo system

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Mon Aug 11 18:02:48 CEST 2008

In Amarok development we currently don't have a way to give ourselves
a todo item. Early in Amarok development a TODO file in SVN was used
effectively I believe, but even by the time I got there using a text
file became difficult. We do have a wiki page or two. We could write
ourselves bugs on bugs.kde.org, but then it would just get lost in the
general haze of invalid bugs and user wishes. In fact, I don't know if
I've ever filed a bug against Amarok, which is kind of odd really.

We really lack a tool to easily pick out "what needs to be done next".
Or a way to remind ourself or another dev of some task that needs to
be done. Basically if you look at the bug trackers of smaller projects
this is exactly what they use it for. However our public bug tracker
is really a tool we only use to communicate with the public, rarely
with each other. I don't think its possible to fix this, its just the
nature of having a public bug tracker for a project like Amarok.

So I think a second system should be used. It would be read-only to
the public, only team members could add bug/todo items to it. I've
contacted Paleo about adding the JIRA bug system, its by the same
people who made Fisheye.  I figure it should be the first system we
look into since we already use Fisheye. A feature I've seen in other
bug trackers that I'm pretty sure JIRA has as well, is a way to group
bugs into tasks and then track their completion. That might be useful.

Anyways that's my idea. People should talk about it with each other at
aKademy and decide if its any good or not. :) Let me know if something
doesn't make sense.

Ian