Center View and Music store integration

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 23:23:53 CET 2007

2007/3/1, Mark Kretschmann <markey at web.de>:

> While we're at this topic, let me repeat my proposal that I had presented
> on
> IRC:
>
> 1)
> We need to create a set of minimum requirements for a store to be included
> in
> Amarok. Requirements could include:
>
> * No DRM.
> * Allows free preview of the music.
> * Maybe also ethics: Is the store allowed to offer any kind of music (e.g.
> Nazi music)?

++ for most part. Just not sure we *can* be the judge of good taste and
morality. Who gets the final decision? Democratic process, majority or
unanimity?

2) The store must fullfill our minimum requirements, and make a deal with us
> (we get a share from the sales, like we do with Magnatune).

As a result, stores need to be *certified* by us, to be allowed to bundle
> their store interface with Amarok. This also implies that we *cannot*
> allow
> stores to offer plugins for download on their website, which are loaded at
> runtime in Amarok. This would totally circumvent any of the requirements
> I've
> listed above.

Now you'll start seeing the downside of publishing under the GPL. We
actually don't control anything that was published anymore. Even if you
wanted to prevent such things, there is no, legal or practical way to
enforce our rules.
However we have control over the default scripts/plugins and GHNS, which
goes a long way.

All store plugins (be it C++ or a scripting language) should be certified