GPL v3

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Sat Jul 7 18:53:35 CEST 2007

Hey guys,

now that the GPL3 is released, I was wondering what our position is
regarding its use in Amarok code. I'd like to hear your opinions on
some questions that came to my mind:

1) Is it good or bad to use the GPL3 in new code, or doesn't it really
matter at all for Amarok? Should we encourage using it?

2) Some of our code is GPL v2+ licensed, "either version 2 of the
License, or (at your option) any later version." Does this mean that
this code is now automatically upgraded to v3?

3) Do you foresee any possible side effects of using v3 in Amarok? ("ITSATRAP!")

4) Does it make sense to mix v2 and v3 in the same project?

--
Mark