GPL v3

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 19:19:24 CEST 2007

Obligatory IANAL

On 7/7/07, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> now that the GPL3 is released, I was wondering what our position is
> regarding its use in Amarok code. I'd like to hear your opinions on
> some questions that came to my mind:
>
> 1) Is it good or bad to use the GPL3 in new code, or doesn't it really
> matter at all for Amarok? Should we encourage using it?

I like the new license on general principle... Closes a few loopholes

> 2) Some of our code is GPL v2+ licensed, "either version 2 of the
> License, or (at your option) any later version." Does this mean that
> this code is now automatically upgraded to v3?

No, as I understand it, it means the users can choose to use it under
the terms of the never license at their digression.

> 3) Do you foresee any possible side effects of using v3 in Amarok? ("ITSATRAP!")

I have not thought of any

> 4) Does it make sense to mix v2 and v3 in the same project?

v2+ and v3 can mix, but pure v2 and v3 are incompatible as far as I
can tell (you cannot link them together)

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of the points! :-)

 - Nikolaj